Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sometimes I Wish I Were Catholic....

I don't know why....

LOL.


I LOVE CRACKER!

Anyway I went to the Catholic Church today. The neighbor's, (aka the bff), daughter was having her first communion today. The last time I darkened the doors of this church was before they had done this huge addition and remodeling thing. I always get all excited to go to the catholic church mostly because those catholics are craaaaazzzzy. But I LOVE it. I always leave feeling like I had an awesome workout, I mean with the standing and the sitting, and the genuflecting. I'm always afraid though that they're going to take that basket on the end of that big long stick and bonk me on the head with it and start yelling "SHE'S NOT CATHOLIC!!! SHE'S NOT CATHOLIC!" But somehow I manage to fly under the radar. :)

I always experience something new at each service, some little surprise. Like today... I was minding my own business staring at the hymnal and all of a sudden I am drenched. Like there are water marks all over my hymnal. And I'm pissed. I'm like DUBBYA TEE EFFF!!! Ya know? I mean seriously where did this come from? And I look up and the priest has this big ole Rachel Ray Cooking Bowl filled with water, and whatever is left from the Wicked Witch of the West's broom, and dipping the broom into the water then flinging the water on us. Now... I don't like to be splashed. Not in a pool, a hot tub, the lake... no where. Splashing water on me is NOT cool. It makes me angry... very angry... I turn green and start to break things. Thank GOD I looked before I acted because seriously looked up and was soooo pissed that I was ready to throw my hymnal at the water offender. However, I quickly realized that this was apparently the norm.

All in all it was a good experience. The father spoke from the book of Acts, and pointed out a few things that I never thought about before. You know how someone says something that you knew, but you just never thought of it that way? Well he did that, and it was nice. It was a pleasant change of pace, and as always it was entertaining. I don't say these things because I am making fun of the Catholic Church, or the people therein, I say these things because simple things amuse me and I find joy in very simple things. And going to a different church every now and again amuses me.

I have a lot of respect for Catholics. I mean the religion/church itself plays a huge role in history, and for something to survive that long is pretty cool. That, and Beethoven wrote some awesome stuff for the church, and if Beethoven is down with it, then I'm cool. lol. However, as I was sitting there today looking around at the people who were coming in, and then doing their little kneeling/praying thing before church I was doubly impressed. Simply because while Catholics may be out drinking on a Friday night, or curse like a sailor, it almost seems that practicing Catholics have a unmatched respect for God. It's admirable actually. I mean kids I grew up with, may be out drinking on a Saturday or cursing like a sailor but when the show up in church on Sunday they roll they're eyes and attempt to get through the service without snoring. However, it seems, and yes it's an outwards appearance but still, in watching the people at church today it was just very interesting to see them doing their thing, and you can just tell that at their church there is a more worshipful, and respectful attitude towards Christ then I have seen in ANY church. The people at the Catholic church seem be in awe of our God, and they get that He is this wonderful, and hugely powerful being that not only wants to know us, but deserves our respect as well. I can't think of a kid that I grew up with, myself included, that takes God as seriously as any catholic I've met. I mean, I had to bite my tongue when they were shaking hands and saying "Peace" or "Peace Be With You." Cuz I wanted to shake their hands and say back..."Peace out, sista."

So see... I'm an old fart but still learning new things everyday. :)

Though I do wonder what is up with the table. That's on my list of things to learn for tomorrow. I mean I've seen people bow to the cross, or the statue of Jesus... but the table? I haven't figured that one out yet. The Priest kissed it a few times. I'm not sure if that's something I should be doing at home... or if it's just a church thing. I need to get to the bottom of that mystery.

No comments: